Sunday, September 25, 2011

Pour out a lil' liquor for Suede...

I was going through the many stacks and stacks of magazines in my house and I came across something that made me gleam like I found a picture of myself when I was a size 4...An Issue of SUEDE Magazine!
 I cannot begin to tell you how much I miss this magazine. I loved how it was young, hip, informative, and the layouts gave me a mild headache but were so bomb. Here are some of the spreads to give you an idea if your eyes were never lucky enough to see them...
 

 They displayed real life success stories and women working toward their dreams.


They did a Mariah Carey collage out of makeup...  and an article about Barack Obama waaaayyy before he was president.
They let Tyra do what she does best...
.  

And showed us how to do makeup the right way for our skin tones...


 
So what happened to all this eye catching and inventive dopeness?...

"There is a frustration in what we do...In a sense, there is not a road, not a path, that we go down... We can't just sell the magazine. We have to sell the audience. We have to explain that our audience buys things, that they are valuable. It's just plain dollars and sense."-- Michelle Ebanks, group publisher at Essence Communications Group, in a New York Times article dated December 7th, 2004.

mmmm...Sounds to me like they were saying that their audience (AKA women of color) are not valuable??? We don't buy things? mmmmmmm   mmmmmmm  and mmmmm some more.

Regardless of the reason it closed it's doors, I'm sure I am not alone when I am banging on them begging for them to open them back up...Yall with me!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...