Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Somebody Save Barbie...

I was reading some heated debates on this new "Barbie" trend sweeping the globe thanks to our good friend Nikki Minaj...  Now I don't know Nikki personally, so I dont know if she carries this persona with her at all times or its just a gimmick (that's working) so sell records...
One reader even had the nerve to say it's "our" fault because we "takify" everything we get our hands on....thats a whole nother post.
 But the point is that Barbie is a classic American Icon and even though she was "born" with certian characteristics that do imply she is...simple....unrealisticly shaped...and again...simple, however it is being taken to a whole new level, glamorizing being a perfect, plastic being. But we have Mattell to thank for that.

 But why, why why are grown women immortalizing...and imitating a childhood toy? Especially one SO unrealistic...if Barbie was a real woman....
(sorry, I had to)
Now I was never a huge barbie fan but every little girl has had the experience of playing with and ultimately destroying a Barbie. I honestly feel that "Barbie" has a different meaning today...what exactly does she stand for? Well for me, I was always interested in the "off" Barbie, and I have some pics below to show what I mean. Not the collector Barbies, but the one's that are doing things your average Barbie would'nt do...and I ain't talking about giving lap dances at concerts and wearing face masks to red carpet events...












You cannot deny the dopeness of these barbies..they are just too great for words...they emulate real women, real scenarious, I love them...I'm glad that the Barbies my daughter will see will look more like this, and not this...  

So I say, somebody please save Barbie!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...