Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I know I should not ask this but...

The other day I went to Aldi. Some people hate Aldi, I have a love hate relationship with it. I go there for the dirt cheap stuff that I would not pay an outrageous price for in Jewel or Whole Foods, like flour, or sugar, or honey. My Husband has a sweet tooth, so I pick up his snacks for late night munchies. I try to buy veggies and fruits other places...here I go rambling...The point of that ramble is I am a saver, not a stunter...


But this post isn't about designer groceries or opinions about Aldi.


This post is about what I saw there. I pulled into the parking lot and saw a man sitting by the carts. He was polite, saying hello. When I was leaving, he was helping a woman put her groceries into her car. She did not offer him a dime for helping her, but from the looks of it he did not care, he took her cart back and if you have ever been to Aldi you know that you have to put a quarter into the slot to get a cart and then you get it back when you put the cart back. He wanted the quarter. I will repeat this. HE JUST WANTED THE QUARTER. Now there is no telling how long he had been sitting out there on this rainy Tuesday afternoon, helping people put their groceries in their car just to be able to take their cart back and get the quarter. He didnt help me, but when I drove past I stopped and helped him out with what extra I had. But the point is this. Whether he was born into a situation where money was scarce or fell upon hard times, this is what he had to come to.
I currently am completing my internship at a school were very, very....very priveleged children attend. Their families are very well off and the moms all stay at home / do not work. These children wear burberry freakin' socks and have maids, gardeners, hell even chefs and will probably be spoiled..'ahem excuse me set for the rest of their lives. I see this everyday, and everyday think about the man sitting outside Aldi. And I know I'm not supposed to ask this question but why. WHY? WHY! why. Why are some people simply BORN into security and others poverty. It wrecks my brain everytime. I feel bad even letting this out but it is something that truly bothers me. And I am one to talk. I was by no means rich but by no means poor. I always had food, clothes, and a warm bed to sleep in. But I also never wore Burberry socks. And never freakin' will. And I feel that even though I was priveleged in some ways my parents never ever handed me anything. Oh better believe I WORKED for it all. Wether it be dishes, mowing the lawn, or cleaning out the microwave, I did something for the things I got. I'm very glad that I did do those things what pissed me off then. I have a work ethic instilled in me and will never take a handout. To this day if my family does something for me I'm like "You want me to mow your lawn?"

I guess all this has got me thinking about if I believe in fate, or destiny. If there is a mapped out plan for all of us and is that road to our dreams smooth and lined with daisies or rocky and ridden with potholes.

I guess to ask that question is to ask why is it that when I flip a coin sometimes I get heads and sometimes I get tails...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...